Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Galaxy Love

Hi there and welcome back!  Tonight I'm sharing a kind of non-traditional Valentine's Day card using a galaxy background and a fun stamp set from My Favorite Things.  If you're not familiar with how to make a galaxy background, there are several videos on You Tube showing different methods of making one.  I've provided a brief explanation of my process here, but if you're a visual learner, then using You Tube is your best bet.




I started with a panel of watercolor paper, taping down to a hard board to try to minimize warping.  I spread clear clean water over the entire panel then dropped in various colors of watercolor paints - a bit of yellow, fuchsia, teal and blue, letting the colors meld (but not get muddy) and cover the panel.  I also used some lovely metallic gold watercolor paint in a few places just for some added interest.  I used a heat tool to dry it then started adding black watercolor paint over the top, along with more clean, clear water.  When I was happy with the coverage, I dried the panel again.  Because of the opacity of watercolor paints, when it dried after applying the black the colors underneath showed through.  To finish the look, I used pearl metallic acrylic paint to flick the panel and create the "stars" in the background.




The panel was die cut with a Wonky Rectangle die and mounted with foam tape on the white card base.  The large die cut sentiment was cut from white card stock 3 times and layered to make it more prominent on the panel.  The rest of the sentiment was stamped, trimmed and mounted with foam tape.  Finally the silver foil die cut hearts were scattered around the panel.


I'm joining this weeks Trend Week challenge at Just Us Girls, where the challenge is to make a galaxy background or night sky.  I've added a link below, so be sure to head over there and check out all the lovely inspiration!




Thanks so much for visiting, it's so appreciate!


Stef




Product detail
Stamps:  Written in the Stars (MFT)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Silver Foil, Canson XL
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black
Other:  Written in the Stars companion die (sentiment), Wildly Cuddly Critters companion dies (SSS) (hearts), Sakura Koi Watercolor paints, Gansai Tambi Starry colors watercolor paints, Ranger Pearl Metallic Acrylic Paint, Wonky Rectangle die (SSS)

3 comments:

Sue VanDeVusse said...

Your background is gorgeous! I love the metallic paint you used for the flicked stars and the way you did the sentiment. This really makes a fantastic Valentine card. Thanks for playing along with us at JUGS!

Macimbalo said...

This is so gorgeous! Congrats on your JUGS win - your card is AMAZING!!!

Janine said...

So pleased you won the Jugs challenge - your card is great