Friday, August 11, 2017

Suzy's Paintable Prints

Hello and welcome back!  I hope you've had a good week!  I thought I would be posting these two cards earlier this week but you know, life happens, so here I am at last.  For both cards I've used Suzy's Mothers & Flowers Paintable Prints, available only through Simon Says Stamp (there are several selections for different occasions).  The prints are on Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor paper and have whimsical and sweet scenes.  For this first card, I've trimmed out a flower from the print after watercoloring and added it to my card front.  I used the entire print for the second card.


I fell in love with this big tulip that was part of one of the prints but wanted to use this large sentiment from the Big on Birthday stamp set from Stampin' Up, so I used Distress Inks to watercolor it then, and after it dried, fussy cut it and put aside.  Next I started with the background panel of Bristol paper, where I ink blended Tumbled Glass ink then heat set the sentiment in gold embossing powder.  To give it more interest I also splattered it with water drops and small flicks of gold watercolor paints.  When the paint dried, the flower was popped up on foam tape, the panel wrapped with gold cord, then adhered to the Royal Purple cardstock base.  Last touches were to add sequins and Nuvo drops in gold and dark violet.


For this card, I used the sketch challenge from a couple of weeks ago over at Splitcoaststampers (SC 655) as my layout inspiration.


The second card was more time consuming due to layers of watercoloring plus I took some time to get the butterfly wings blended with these very bright colors.


I actually started with the background in light blue, which helped me avoid dragging any of the brighter colors into the background when adding background ink.  Plus I knew the bright colors would cover up any stray bit of light blue.  I LOVE this sentiment and every bit of Suzy's design and enjoyed watercoloring it.  I tried to do an ombre from light to dark on the words "YOU" and used some of my very favorite Distress Ink colors, Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Wilted Violet and Mermaid Lagoon on the butterfly.  Getting the pink to blend into the orange was work and actually looked very continuous until I splattered water drops on the card when it was done and one landed right on that wing!!  Had to laugh about that.


I decided to go a bit bold and used a paintbrush to flick metallic black watercolor paint dots on the panel.  I got a little carried away but was able to use a paper towel to soak up some of the larger ones, so now they look like a faint gray.  After the panel dried, I added a few sequins and adhered it to the Island Blue card base.

Thanks for visiting, it's always so appreciated!  I hope to be back this weekend with a couple more posts, so stop by if you have a chance.

Stef


Card #1
Stamps:  Big on Birthdays (Stampin' Up)
Paper:  Strathmore Bristol, Royal Purple and Suzy's Mothers & Flowers Paintable Prints (both Simon Says Stamp)
Ink:  Versamark; Distress Inks:  Wilted Violet, Shaded Lilac, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Tumbled Glass
Other:  Hero Arts Gold Embossing Powder, Yasutomo Watercolor Paints, Silver Black Velvet #4 round paintbrush, Gold Cord (SU), Paper Snips, Violet Galaxy & Bright gold Nuvo Crystal Drops, Pretty Pink Posh Sparkling Clear Sequins, Clear Wink of Stella

Card #2
Stamps:  None
Paper:  Island Blue (SSS), Suzy's Mothers & Flowers Paintable Prints
Ink:  Distress Inks:  Cracked Pistacho, Mermaid Lagoon, Peacock Feathers, Mowed Lawn, Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade, Wilted Violet, Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed
Other:  Yasutomo Watercolor Paints, Silver Black Velvet paintbrush, Chameleon (SSS) and Sparkling Clear (PPP) sequins

No comments: