Sunday, June 9, 2013

Indigo Birthday

When I received my new Stampin' Up catalogue, one of the first sets I knew I was going to buy was Wetlands.  It's perfect for masculine cards, but I also think it will be much more versatile as I play around with it.

Today's card is for my husband's birthday next week.  We both love walking the trails of the National Wildlife Reserve near our home and seeing all the birds that migrate in and out, especially the Canada Geese.  During certain times of the year, there are hundreds of these gorgeous birds making it their temporary home.


The sentiment is one of three from the Wetlands stamp set.  I think it's lovely for giving to a friend or relative, but a bit stiff between a husband and a wife LOL!!   I initially stamped it without really giving it a thought until a day later, realizing how formal it sounds.  I may choose to pop another birthday greeting over the top of it before giving it to my sweetie.

I based the colors on this week's gorgeous Colour Q Tuesday challenge.  When I saw these colors I knew it would perfectly for this card.


I did not have stamp pads or markers for Going Gray and Soft Sky, so I substituted Basic Gray and Pool Party.  And while I was able to use my Certainly Celery marker to color the grass stamp, I had to use Pear Pizazz to sponge around it.  Nevertheless, I think it ended up being pretty true to the challenge colors.


I masked the goose and stamped the grass behind it.  For my mask, I tried using 2-Way Glue on the back of a piece of card stock that was stamped with the goose image and snipped out.  It really worked nicely and to me was an improvement over using a Post It note.

A piece of Going Gray card stock (I had no ink but did some retired card stock on hand) was sponged with a bit of Basic Gray ink, then, layered under the focal piece.  It was then adhered to an embossed piece of Island Indigo.  Bakers Twine and a Basic Silver button finish off the card.


Thanks for visiting today!  If you have a moment, please leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you!  Hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful!

Hugs,

Stef

All products by Stampin Up:
Stamps:  Wetlands
Paper:  Naturals White, Going Gray, Island Indigo
Ink:  Certainly Celery, Pear Pizazz, Island Indigo, Pool Party, Basic Gray
Accessories:  Island Indigo Baker's Twine, Basic Button Silver, Woodgrain embossing folder





2 comments:

Jen Mitchell said...

These colors are wonderful for your husband's birthday card. It's so nice that the image is something you both can relate to! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

Sylvia said...

Lovely card, Stef, hope your husband loved his birthday card! Love your stamping and coloring. Thanks so much for joining us at the colourQ.